Mitsubishi Electric Corp prototyped a capacitive touch panel that can detect the distance between a finger and the panel and demonstrated it at Interaction 2009, which took place from March 5 to 6, 2009, in Tokyo.
- Display: 5.7", 640x480 pixels
- Touch panel: projective capacitive touch panel
- Measurement range:
- contact state: 8 ~ 19 pF change
- proximity state: 0.3 pF change
- Measurments: x, y, z positions and the speed of the approaching finger.
- contact state: 0.2 mm
- proximity state: 10 mm (x and y), 256 stage (z axis, up to 20 mm)
- Response time
- contact state: 10 ms
- proximity state: 50 ms
Source: Mitsubishi Demos '3D Touch Panel', Tech-On!
As expected, Mitsubishi is not the first one on this kind of technology:
- EtherTouch: the company offers AD7103 3D touch sensing IC (They seem to almost cease operations as a business)
- MIT Media Lab:They have made several interesting 3D input devices using electric field imaging.
- Sony CSL: SmartSkin can be considered as an ancestor of iPhone multi-touch screen. CSL has presented an interaction architecture called PreSense, which show a preview before a user execute commands.
Updated Dec. 11, 2009
US2009/0183931A1 Touch Panel Device -
Nevermind, these are pretty much all the links I've learned about recently :) Great compilation!
Post a Comment